Topper Mast Cup Assembly
To remove an old cup:
- Remove the mast gate for easier access.
- Remove the nut and washer from the top of the cup.
- Remove the cup. Few come off easily. The last one I did came off easily after I power washed around it. I imagined I'd broken any suction and cleared any build up of grit. In the past we have gripped the lip with a pair of long nose pliers and ‘unscrewed’ them. The easiest way is to drill out the ‘core’ of the cup with a 22mm hole saw. This will expose the second nut below the cup.
- Working both sides of the boat, use a large screwdriver and long reach socket to remove the nut from inside the boat and withdraw the bolt from the outside.
- Remove the deep black rubber sealing washer from the inside of the boat.
- Clean up the whole area.
- The order is – screwdriver headed bolt / brass insert / black rubber seal / washer / nut / cup / washer / nut.
- A small amount of Sikaflex or similar polyurethane sealant on the rubber sealing washer is useful but should not be necessary.
- It is necessary to tighten the first nut fairly well but you do not have to really tighten the one on top of the cup.
Leave a comment