Laser Dawn Grey coloured gel coat
Great, arrived on time
A 75ml tin of ´Dawn Grey´ gelcoat resin for Lasers built prior to the ´99 season. Boats after to this were ´Vella Grey´ (more of a blue grey).
You will need a 2% mix of polyester catalyst to enable the gelcoat to harden (purchased separately) ) - see related items.
Laser Sail Numbers v Colours
To Sail Number 166000 - Dawn Grey
167000 - Dawn Grey or Vela Grey
168000 - Vela Grey 211300 to present - Ice Blue
This product should be used within 3 months of purchase.
Please be aware Rooster do try to supply as close a possible matching our gelcoats to the original OEM shade, but years of UV and sunlight will discolour the surface and may cause a slight mis-match to getting a perfect match. You may need to mix an additional pigment to get a perfect match for your boat.
Also, Performance Sailcraft the OEM builder would change suppliers of the gelcoat product, but still name it either Dawn / Vela Grey / Ice Blue, but may not be the same exact shade.
The gelcoat has small amount (2%) of styrene wax additive added. The wax additive is used in order to cure the gelcoat, and creates an air barrier so the resin can cure to a tack-free state ready for wet sanding and finishing.
Please stir the contents thoroughly for at least 1 min before using and dispensing from the tin.
Gelcoat products are measured out to 75ml (by volume) and the gelcoat is supplied in oversize tins (approx. 150ml) for ease of use.
NOTE : Gelcoat and catalyst can only be shipped to the UK..
How to repair small damages?
1. The area of damage should be thoroughly cleaned. Loose particles should be scraped or sanded down. Minor damage or scratches need only to be cleaned with acetone.
2. Mask up using masking tape the area, and apply an appropriate amount of gelcoat in the original colour of the boat, should be mixed with 1-2.5% peroxide/catalyst. Minimum temperature whilst filling, + 13C both the air and surface temperature.
Catalyst 2% is ideal, 3% is a fast mix. Additions outside these bands in not advisable for proper curing, in fact adding more than 4% may result in a failure to cure. The pot life of these mixes is also determined by temperature. The higher the temperature the faster the cure. Ideal temperature is 16 - 20°C
Use 6 drops into 10ml of resin. (As a guide 1 UK tablespoon = 14.2ml)
Curing: At 15C pot life is approx 15 mins, repair cure 1-3 hours. At higher temps, cure times will be reduced and colder, will be slower. Never work on surfaces colder that 5C and do not allow the resin or catalyst to freeze.
3. Apply gelcoat with a flexible plastic tool and allow to cure for 4-8 hours (depending on temperature).
4. Rub down repaired areas tightly with 120 or 220 grit wet and dry paper, until all uneveness is removed. Use the grades, 200, 400, 600 and 800, and finish by lightly sanding with 1000 grade wet sandpaper or a finer grade.
5. If necessary, apply further quantities of gelcoat several times before finishing off with 1000 grade wet sandpaper.
6. Avoid sanding outside of the damaged area (using masking tape again to protect the existing gelcoat) as one can easily rub through the coloured surface to expose the uncoloured laminate beneath and therefore increase the area of damage.
7. After sanding down, polish to a mirror finish using a fine rubbing compound such as G3 and then G10 and apply a good polish to complete.
Please see the Rooster Blog for an article on a simple repair. See: https://www.roostersailing.com/blogs/boat-maintenance-tips/small-boat-grp-repairs-working-with-gelcoat
Laser® is a registered trademark owned by Velum Limited and currently licensed for use in Europe to Laser Performance (Europe) Limited. Rooster Sailing Limited is fully independent of both Laser Performance (Europe) Limited and Velum Limited.
You can select your preferred delivery option or local pick up from Rooster at checkout.
We are happy to accept your returns so long as you send them back within 90 days.
For full details on all our terms and conditions click here.
Thank you for being a customer of Rooster, if you have any questions please use our online chat, call or email.
Phone: +44 (0)1243 389997
Great, arrived on time