- Delivery & Returns
NOTE : Gelcoat can only be shipped to the UK and mainland Europe regions.
Gelcoat tin (75ml) Ideal for scratches, dings and small repairs. YOU WILL NEED A 2% MIX OF POLYESTER CATALYST TO ENABLE THE GELCOAT TO HARDEN (PURCHASED SEPARATELY) - SEE RELATED ITEMS.
Available in CLEAR or WHITE
The gelcoat has small amount (2%) of styrene wax additive added. The wax additive is used in order to cure the gelcoat, and creates an air barrier so the resin can cure to a tack-free state ready for wet sanding and finishing.
NOTE : Please note that the clear gelcoat product will have the wax additive added and this will give the gelcoat a slight yellow/creamy colour to it.
It comes like this as the gelcoat as had added the Wax Solution added to the gelcoat. This is used to eliminate the surface tackiness caused by gelcoats. (2%) of styrene wax additive added.
Gelcoat products are measured out to 75ml (by volume) and the gelcoat is supplied in oversize tins (approx. 150ml) for ease of use.
How to repair small damages?
1. The area of damage should be thoroughly cleaned. Loose particles should be scraped or sanded down. Minor damage or scratches need only to be cleaned with acetone.
2. Mask up using masking tape the area, and apply an appropriate amount of gelcoat in the original colour of the boat, should be mixed with 1-2.5% peroxide catalyst. Minimum temperature whilst filling, + 13C
3. Apply the gelcoat with a flexible plastic tool and allow to cure for 4-8 hours (depending on temperature).
4. Rub down repaired areas tightly with 120 or 220 grit wet and dry paper, until all uneveness is removed. Finish by lightly sanding with 1000 grade wet sandpaper or a finer grade.
5. If necessary, apply further quantities of gelcoat several times before finishing off with 1000 grade wet sandpaper.
6. Avoid sanding outside of the damaged area (using masking tape again to protect the existing gelcoat) as one can easily rub through the coloured surface to expose the uncoloured laminate beneath and therefore increase the area of damage.
7. After sanding down, polish to a mirror finish using a fine rubbing compound such as G3 and then G10 and apply a good polish to complete.
Materials Safety Data Sheet
The Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for this product can be found at this Rooster Website page: Materials Safety Data Sheets – ROOSTER UK (roostersailing.com) (This is a complete library of all MSDS related to Rooster products).
Delivery & Returns
You can select your preferred delivery option or local pick up from Rooster at checkout.
We are happy to accept your returns so long as you send them back within 30 days.
For full details on all our terms and conditions click here.
Thank you for being a customer of Rooster, if you have any questions please use our online chat, call or email.
Phone: +44 (0)1243 389997
- DCDan C.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars3 months agoWhite Gel Coat
Perfect match for the white hull of a Blueblue Optimist.
Colour match from different batches also consistent.