Your Basket

Your your basket is currently empty

Taxes and shipping calculated at checkout Checkout
Kit Guide

RS Feva Nationals 2014

By Harvey Martin 30th September 2020

We turned up in Weymouth and dropped the boat off after a very long drive down on bank holiday Friday before finding our accommodation. Mum had done a great job booking a house less than a mile from the WPNSA – perfect.

We registered early on Saturday morning and did a few practise starts and one practice race before heading in for an early night. We felt good.

Sunday morning dawned with plenty of breeze over the course. We were feeling psyched, knowing that we had trained hard and today’s results would set the pace for the whole regatta. We got out later than everyone else, a novelty for us as we are usually first on the water, and did all our usual pre start checks out on the water. We were feeling nervous. The flight ahead of us got away all clear as did our start. We sailed the first beat quite well and were in close second at the first mark. We overtook the leaders on the run and sailed safely for the last lap to take the first win of the day. Whilst we were stoked at our win we knew we needed to keep a clear head.

In race 2, we were on the first start and so on the outer loop, a much better course for us. We had a great start and played the first beat perfectly to round the top mark with a decent lead. Down the run we extended further and went on to secure our second bullet.

In race 3 the breeze dropped off slightly meaning we were not planing downwind. We rounded the top mark in 5th, but up the second beat the top 5 changed a lot and we managed to come out in 2nd. Down the final run we took the lead, holding it all the way to the finish.

A great first day, just the kind we were hoping for.

Day 2 – After a postponement on shore we launched in hardly any breeze. A different approach was going to be needed if we were going to have a successful day. The race officer started one race, but had to abandon as marks were still being moved as we were heading up the second beat. officer After a short delay he managed to restart in 6-7 knots of breeze and we secured ourselves a 3rd which was a solid counter. It had been a day where patience paid.

Day 3 – The first race again saw very light winds, so much so, that as the fleet got to the top mark, and the breeze dropped below 2 knots the race officer had to abandon. As we got back down to the start line we found out we had been black flagged and had to sit out the next race, which wasn’t what we had hoped would happen.

As the breeze clocked left and increased significantly the 2nd race was started and whilst we didn’t have a great start we managed to tack out straight awy and found a near perfect lane, out of trouble. We made a good comeback and finished in 2nd after taking 4 boats down the final run.

The penultimate race started which could decide the championship. We started well and rounded 2nd at the top mark, taking the boat in first down the first run, leading the rest of the way to take the win and subsequently the championship. It felt great, but all we can remember is being hungry!

The final race was started after a rain storm. We led all the way until the last beat, where going left didn’t pay as well as we thought it would, finishing 3rd. However, it meant that all our counting scores were in the top 3.

The RS Feva Nationals 2014 will certainly be a championship to remember.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published.