Your Basket

Your your basket is currently empty

Taxes and shipping calculated at checkout Checkout
Kit Guide

Feva 2016 National Championships - Weymouth

By 2nd October 2020

Feva 2016 National Championships - Weymouth

The trip to Weymouth was uneventful. On arrival, we got the Feva off the RIB trailer, launched the RIB, then Dad handed me a cloth and a bucket of soapy water…..nice. After some persuasion, Dad kindly helped me to clean the hull of my Feva along with a Rooster Team mate, Ellie Clark.

Ellie & Me

My helm, Daniel Lewis, arrived with his family at 12:24am and they set themselves up next to us. At 06:00am, Mum decided to wake up and go for a shower - could it really be morning already? That was my first thought, then I remembered what we were here for and the excitement started to kick in. FEVA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! And we're in Weymouth, my favourite venue. I've been looking forward to this for weeks.

Day 1 started a little misty and dull, with not a great deal of wind but enough to go sailing. It was better onve we got away from the land. This would be the fourth time I have sailed with Dan so we spent some time practising upwind and downwind in order to get the boat set up. The fleet completed 2 races, the sunshine came out, the wind clocked to favour the right hand side of the course and we found ourselves lying in 6th place overnight. Team BBQ for dinner with lots of pasta & salad.

Day 2 was stunning - wind and sunshine. We started the first race and were in a very strong position. Unfortunately, there had been a misunderstanding of the sailing instructions and the race was abandoned. We all had to return to shore to re-flight. The race officer explained the mistake to the fleet and we were off again.

Wooo hooo!! What a race! We nailed a pin start, Dan got the race tactics right... 1ST over the finish line - "Daniel Lewis and Katie Byne race winners!" I had a huge grin :-D. We got the wind right and needless to say his crew was just on top form… I was pretty good, though I could have possibly hoisted the kite a bit faster. This put us 5th overnight on equal points with 2 other boats. We were on equal points with Jack, Daniel’s brother, but in front on count back due to the 1st, this means Gold fleet for us :-) and 5 points carried forward.

I was so tired when we got back, I had tea and went straight to bed. I think quite a few others did as well as the boat park was really quiet. Or maybe I just slept really well.

Day 3 brought us mixed results, improving as the day went on from a 22nd to a 3rd, we finished the day on a real high. Fun evening in the club with other competitors. One day to go

Day 4 was really windy, some people had already gone home overnight. I love the wind, so not a problem for us. I did add a few layers as I had got it wrong on the previous windy day and got a bit chilly. It was time for my Supertherm Longjohn and Polypro base layers, which were added to my Pro Aquafleece to build up some insulation. I also wore my Hot Hands under my gloves. I was working hard but the water temperature was really cold, also with the wind coming in from the North it also had a chill factor to it.

Two more races to go! We suffered a capsize in the final race due to a huge gust and nowhere to go. We righted the boat as fast as possible and didn't lose too many places. Then the race officer finished the final race. It was all down to points now, we had another 3rd to add to our collection. I had my fingers crossed that the 21st would not effect out result too much.

We ended up 7th overall and 1st mixed crew. Not bad for two sailors who have sailed one event together and practiced last Sunday at Draycote ;-)

7th and first mixed team :-) 7th overall and first mixed team :-)

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published.